Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Freecycle: the Good, the Bad, and the Trash

I first heard about Freecycle through FlyLady. I didn't think much of it at first. Then I started seeing it mentioned on various frugality blogs/sites. I became intrigued and, once my curiosity regarding privacy was satisfied, signed up. I've been using it long enough now that I'd like to give my thoughts on it.

Overview

Freecycle is actually one group encompassing a group of smaller organizations joined by email and the idea that "one man's junk is another man's treasure". You post to your local group (found through the main website though you post through a different medium) if you want to give something away. Emails come back from people (also members of the group) who want what you want to give away. Y'all decide on a method of exchange and hopefully everyone walks away happy.

The Good

Freecycle's biggest awesomeness is the porch pick-up. In our suburban neighborhood it works beautifully: I give a list of items to Mr. Vinca and he picks them up on the way home.

You can find some really odd things that you wouldn't find anywhere else, perhaps not even at a thrift store. And then there are those odds and ends, bits and pieces that would ordinarily just get thrown away but that are good enough to repair/replace items you may already have.

We've gotten a pretty nice desk, material, sheets, and lots of clothes through Freecycle.

The Bad

Although it seems to work for those in rural areas, it sounds like it's more difficult. People aren't as willing to drive and that means the porch pick-up is out. Those who live in rural areas sometimes have to meet face-to-face to exchange or have a "drop-off" (not recommended because of "no-shows"). Also, the porch pick-up would probably not work in a more urban environment.

The "no-show". This is one of the big drawbacks but only if you are desperate to get rid of stuff. A "no-show" is someone who says they'll pick up and never shows up. You email and either the person doesn't respond or sends back excuses. I've given second and third and fourth chances to some "no-shows" and I've learned that if a person doesn't show up the first time to pick up an item, and doesn't send an email explaining why, then it's better to just move on to the next person who asked.

Perhaps this is specific to my area, but time is a big drawback from what I see. If you haven't responded to an email for an item within the first hour it was sent (sometimes within the first couple of minutes) chances are good you won't get it. It depends on the item and it depends on the demand... something you can't guage through watching emails. I've found I have to check email four or five times a day just to have a chance at getting items. And fifty percent of the time there's no payoff.

The Trash

This is perhaps the biggest drawback and might be specific to my area. The better group members describe items in detail, including any damage. A few amazing people will offer photos, especially if it's furniture. Sometimes I'll see an item I want that has very little description. I've learned not to ask for items that don't have much of a description. It may be perfectly fine, or it may not, but either way I'll be spending gas money and time trying to find out. And it's very, VERY bad form to ask for something and then turn around and tell the person giving it away that you don't want it after all.

The worst, of course, is when I misunderstand an email.

Once, there was an entertainment center listed. I misunderstood the description regarding its complete state (it was taken apart by the person giving it away) and thought it was more narrow than it actually was. It is now sitting, unused, in our garage, only because we think we may have a use for the glass doors (cold frame?).

Finally, perhaps other groups are different, but in my group the volume of emails are huge. If I don't check my email at least once a day, I end up spending far more time than I'd like just deleting emails.

Summary

Freecycle is great for those in a suburban neighborhood who have time to check their email several times a day. It also works for those who can't check email as often but primarily want to use Freecycle to get rid of items without filling up the landfill or loading up their car to take stuff to the thrift store.

No comments: