Friday, January 23, 2009

Bulk Grain or...

... what on earth do I do with all this wheat?!

(This, btw, is the result of my thoughts while I was composing my pancake post... which will eventually happen.)

The most common complaint I've heard when it comes to stocking up on bulk whole grains is "But I don't have a grinder". In case that sounds snarky, I used to say the exact same thing early in my marriage. However, I've found some people who have found a way around it. I offer it here so that those who have whole grains in bulk can rotate them into their diet and get used to them, and so that those who don't have any might be willing to purchase some (there's plenty of places online that sell whole grains in bulk or just go to your local granary or LDS cannery).

I'm going to use wheat as an example just because it's the grain we're most familiar with; many of these things can be done with other grains as well. A lot of the things I'm going to mention were a result of our journey through autism with our two eldest and the whole GF/CF diet thing. If you want to read more of what we are currently doing with our two eldest as we try to help them learn and grow, check out There and Back Again.

Things you can do with whole grains without using a grinder:
  • Turn it into Rejuvelac (a "mild drink").
  • Sprout it.
  • Plant the sprouts and grow edible seedlings (like wheatgrass, barleygrass, and sunflower greens).
  • Soak it, sprout it (optional though highly recommended), and cook it on the stove.
  • Soak it, sprout it (again optional), and grind it in the blender for use in muffins, quick breads, and pancakes (this one is a fun trick to learn).
I'll go over all these over the next few weeks, possibly even including a few of my favorite recipes if it doesn't violate copyright.

First, Rejuvelac.

Rejuvelac is what Ann Wigmore and others call the water poured off of grain that's been left to sit and ferment for a day or two. It has a very pleasant odor and is chock full of enzymes and good bacteria for your intestines. It also makes raw foods... heck, any food, more digestible if used in a recipe. I use it mostly in "raw" soups and it really adds to the flavor. Even though it's made from fermented grain, it's non-alcoholic because the water is poured off before the grain reaches the point where the chemical change occurs that creates the alcohol.

It's also incredibly easy to make and, unlike some other processes, is pretty forgiving if you don't have the strongest sense of time. I'll show you just how easy it is to make.

Take one cup of grain... any grain. Soak the grain in filtered water overnight (or about 8-12 hours). Strain off the water and rinse the grain well.

Put it in a non-metal container (glass really works the best... we use mason jars). Then, pour about 2-3 cups of purified or distilled water over the grain, cover loosely to keep out the bugs and let it sit. Check it again in about 12-24 hours. It's done when the water is kind of bubbly and tart to the taste. Strain off the water and drink.

That's all.

If you like, you can (and I strongly recommend this) put the grain back in the container you used to let it sit and cover it again with clean water. If you do this it won't take as long for the grain to get nice and bubbly again. The grain can be used (depending on many factors) about 3 to 5 times before it becomes so fermented that it's probably best only for compost. If you really hate to "waste" grain like that, try catching the grain before it becomes too sour for your taste and turn it into Essene Bread. Ann Wigmore has the recipe in Recipes for a Longer Life as does Sue Gregg in her bread book, or you can look for recipes online. I don't make it myself because the one time I tried to make it the sour taste was just too much.

One final thing I feel I must mention: if your Rejuvelac has an off or nasty odor, don't use it or try to save it. Some bad bacteria probably got in there. Rejuvelac should always have a pleasantly fermented smell and taste to it (think yogurt or sour cream... though for some reason mine always makes me think of soda pop... probably the bubbles).

Ann Wigmore recommends floating a small bundle of wheatgrass on top as an extra filter for impurities. We've done that and it does make the Rejuvelac taste better, though not dramatically so. (I'll mention some of the interesting things we've done with wheatgrass in a separate post.)

Next in the series: having fun with sprouts. :)

2 comments:

Little House in the Big Northwest said...

That is awesome! I am going to tell Scott about it, I'd love to try out any and all of your wheat recipes. I've never sprouted grain, but I'd love to give it a try.

Mrs. Vinca said...

Awesome!

I'm not sure how many of the recipes I'll be able to post. I've heard they may fall under copyright laws. We'll see.