Monday, November 17, 2008

The Economy and Skills

I'm big on preparing as much as possible for future events. Often, in our house, this means tangibles, though we're working on knowledge as well and having an emergency plan.

That's why I really liked this article about Investing in Skills at The Simple Dollar. In all my preparedness research, the thing that keeps jumping out at me is knowing the people in your community. It's one of the reasons I would smile when I would hear the head of our church talk about getting involved in our communities, helping others, serving others. These bonds of friendship are the things that hold civilization together when a crisis erupts. And from what I've been reading, we're about to go into a rather nasty crisis.

I also highly endorse the concept of working on skills NOW that you may need when things get bad. When Mr. Vinca and I were first married, we had several weeks where it would be better financially if we didn't buy bread (we've always been of the opinion that food and shelter come before bills but we try to be as frugal as we can in all areas). I said that wasn't a big deal because I knew how to make bread: I learned when I was 12 and made bread on a consistent basis for my family because the family I was staying with at the time was on church welfare and always seemed to be out of bread but rarely used the flour they got. Because I had practiced so much as a young woman, it didn't take me long (one or two tries) to turn out a decent loaf for our family. I still have trouble with air bubbles at the top of the loaf (overkneading) but the bread tastes good and cooks through fine.

It took me several years to get to a point where I could easily say "no problem" to many of the challenges we've faced due to learned skills. I've learned self-sufficiency to a point where I can see I'm not really self-sufficient at all, though others might think I'm delusional for saying that. When you reach that point, you'll know it and realize how important it is to avoid becoming isolated.

Anyway, for now, I add a little to our 72 hour kits with each shopping trip. I focus on learning how to sew, both by machine and hand. I try to get my family healthy and get them used to living foods, including "bitters" and sour tastes. And at the moment, that's all we can do. Hopefully, one day we'll live on a farm and raise our own livestock, though I have to admit I'd just be happy with owning our own home again. It's more responsibility, but more opportunity as well.

Anyway, enough of my babble. Must get to work. Hope you enjoy the article.

No comments: