Friday, March 6, 2009

Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson

This isn't really a review. In fact, this book is written in such a way that I don't think I could review it. It would be like reviewing the dictionary or the encyclopedia.

Because this month is going to be very busy for me (all sorts of parties going on this month) I won't have time to talk about this book in detail. But to give you a taste of it, I'll tell you that this is the anti-Martha Stewart book. No, it doesn't attack her. But it does make it clear where they stand in regard to the house. They're fun, but not the heart of the home. To paraphrase, imitating the chores and crafts of the past doesn't make your house a home.

So, what does it take? As much as feminists resent it, it takes identifying yourself with your home. It means that no matter where you are right now, you care enough about yourself and those with you to make the home clean, ordered, and easy to live in.

Just try it for a few weeks. Take a look at your home and ask yourself, "What does my home say about me?" If you don't like the answer, figure out what needs to change.

More later.

No comments: