Friday, October 10, 2008

The Frugality of Cleanliness Addendum: The Importance of Two Minutes

In addition to spending five minutes at a time cleaning up a room, try taking two minutes to clean off surfaces... especially those surfaces where people set stuff down "temporarily". You can put it away as part of the two minute clean up or pick things up for two minutes and put them away after the timer chirps.

If you do these two things every day, even if you only work in one room in your house, your house will look surprisingly clean.

I got this idea from FlyLady but her definition of Hot Spots is a bit broader than mine. I've found the two minute idea works great for surfaces (other than the kitchen counters) while the five minute Room Rescue works great for chairs and floors.

(One more thing... I'm not perfect in this. I've spent half of my homemaker years pregnant and cleaning was often the last thing I ended up doing. But sticking to the little bits of time, though it hasn't kept my house spotless, has made it manageable. Very important when you have six little ones to keep up with.)

No comments: