Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Frugality of Cleanliness: Aprons

You may wonder what cleanliness has to do with frugality. I know I used to think the two weren't at all related. I've since found otherwise. When your house is clean and organized, it's easier to find what you need (or find it in the first place). So much money and time get wasted in a disorganized house. I know because it's how I used to live and what I'm currently trying to avoid. I'm not perfect, but I've found several things that work and will share them with all of you.

First thing: get your hands on an apron or something similar and get dressed in something functional and nice each and every day.

Why: I know aprons are considered archaic nowadays. Or something you wear on special occasions. Or something you buy for your husband to wear while he burns meat on the grill. But I've been learning that aprons are much more than that and serve many needs within a home.

First, I've learned they're a necessity if I want to get dressed up (somewhat) for the day and want to keep my clothes looking halfway decent. And getting dressed up really is a necessity if you want to take your position as a stay at home wife/mother seriously. I began thinking about this when we had a neighbor come over to welcome us into the neighborhood... wearing what she called a "housedress". It was a simple t-shirt knit jumper over a white t-shirt in a lovely shade of light green with two pockets on the front. It was simple and beautiful at the same time.

Now, I have always loved jeans. No one can tell me they can't be feminine because I absolutely love pairing up soft feminine fabrics with them and sometimes even wearing pretty jewelry. I love the contrast.

However, I had noticed that I'd stopped wearing pretty tops and had begun to go with t-shirts. Why? Because kids are hard on pretty clothes, whether or not the kids are the ones wearing them. I didn't even tuck the t-shirts in because lately I'm either pregnant or still trying to recover my stomach.

That's why that housedress made such a big impression on me. So, for this pregnancy, I made myself a housedress that I thought would work for the next several months. It's pretty and functional and not so nice that I would cringe if one of the kids got his/her PB covered hands on it. And it has pockets! Glorious pockets! However, even though it's not too nice, it's nice enough that I would rather not wipe my hands on it or stand by a hot stove making bacon in it. So, I made myself an apron, again with pockets (I'm finding I need about four if I truly want my hands free).

The apron isn't pretty. It kinds of is, but it's made out of a very durable kind of fabric and that means it's a bit stiff. But it's perfect for protecting clothes. And because I chose a pattern that has gathers, it looks surprisingly feminine.

So, now if anyone comes to visit, I don't look frazzled or frumpy. In fact, I feel incredibly comfortable because the skirt of the dress lets my pregnant tummy do whatever it wants, and the apron can be hung up until it's time to go to work again.

Another reason for wearing an apron goes beyond the practicality of it and touches on the need for a uniform. In the book Sidetracked Home Executives the authors make the point that staying at home is an important job. Dressing as if you weren't going to work tells your body and mind that it's not. By dressing in a "uniform" of sorts, you're telling yourself that you're going to work and that's where your focus will naturally be until you change clothes -- or take off your apron.

Finally, there's no better feeling in the world than to have one of your children bury his face in your apron when he gives you a hug. There's a sweetness to it that goes beyond words.

In spite of what I've said, you don't have to wear an apron... something that serves the same purpose will work. FlyLady has vests that work well or you can make/buy your own. If you want to make your own apron (better and cheaper than buying one pre-made) you can go here for free patterns. Personally, I like the freedom an apron gives; vests make me feel almost claustrophobic. But the point is to have something that helps you feel what you already know: you are doing a very important work in your home.

This is the foundation. Next time, I'll discuss why maintaining a shiny sink (and all that goes with it) is so important to living a frugal life.

(P.S. Don't forget your hair. Even if all you do is comb it and pull it back in a ponytail, it's better than leaving it alone because "no one else will see it". Your kids and husband are not "no one" and your kids will remember if you never looked put together while they were growing up.)

No comments: